I have been very inspired by all the jean cutoffs on Pinterest, so I decided to try my own sewing skills on a pair. Memorial Day weekend is coming up, so a patriotic pair was an given. I lucked out and found a pair of striped high waisted denim shorts and a red scarf with white stars I could use for material. This is also a DIY on how to do no fail cutoffs.
Price: I lucked out with my Goodwill finds, so my shorts and material only costed $4.50, this could easily be made for >$10 especially if you already have shorts
Time: About an hour, depending on your sewing skills
Level: Medium, because you have to use a sewing machine, a needle and thread is a possibility but with denim it would wear out your fingers
Mess: Little, only sewing scraps
1. Lay shorts flat. Then turn inside out.
2. Measure up 6 inches on the outside and make a mark, this will differ based on original length.
3. Measure up 4 inches on the inside and make a mark, you could say just make sure the inside is 2 inches shorter than the outside. It will seems weird at first, but the angle creates a more flattering shape.
4. About an inch below your marks, draw a diagonal line, you always want to start longer than you think you will want.
5. Repeat steps 2 and 3 on the other side. Then make sure they are the same on both sides.
13. Cut extra material, I was okay with the frayed edges, otherwise you would have to fold the edges under and sew.
14. TA-DA! Admire your adorable shorts. Perfect for Memorial Day or Independence Day!